The word "abacus" originated from the Latin word Abaci meaning "flat surface." In mathematical history, Abacus holds an extraordinary place. It is one of the oldest calculation devices, and it is primarily used to calculate arithmetic problems. Available evidence suggests the History of Abacus is as old as 3000 years.
This phenomenal device comprises rods, beads, and a wooden or polymer frame. Each rod represents a specific place value, and each dot signifies a number. These beads are used by moving them along the rods according to the need of the calculations.
One fact that we all know about Abacus for kids is that the modern Abacus has been proven to be a complete brain development tool for children, which helps in improving one's mental math ability. There are a few more amazing facts about Abacus that you might want to know. A few are listed below;
1. A horizontal bar divides the Abacus into two parts, the upper and the lower deck.
2. The name given to the Russian Abacus is 'Schoty.' The difference between other abacuses and Schoty is that it does not have decks.
3. The first written record dating back to the second century BC, states that the Abacus originated in China.
4. The creator of the Cranmer abacus is Tim Cranmer. It is used to conduct calculations quickly and simply for Visually Impaired individuals.
5. Most people confuse the Abacus with the counting board, but the fact is that both these tools are different from each other.
6. Our current computers use binary Abacus for handling numbers.
7. The Chinese Abacus is called a "Suanpan." This term typically means- 'a calculating pan'.
Now that we have known some facts about Abacus, let us now answer some of the common questions you might have in your mind.
1. What Material Is Used For Making The Abacus?
A wooden or polymer rectangular frame divided by a horizontal bar makes the Abacus tool. It has vertical wires or rods across the length of the structure in odd numbers. These wires have beads embedded, one in the upper deck and 4 in the lower deck. The bead helps in performing the calculation. You can find beads of different shapes.
Abacus was created as a counting device for calculation in ancient times.
2. What Is The Person Who Uses The Abacus Called?
The term for the person who uses an abacus is called an Abacist.
3. What Is Japanese Soroban?
The Abacus in the Japanese version is called a Soroban. In Japan, most schools still use Abacus for teaching mathematical calculations.
4. How Was Abacus Teaching Initiated?
In the earlier days, the Abacus was used only for calculations. But with time, people found difficulties in learning math. Only after this people started using Abacus as a learning tool and later discovered the benefits of the Abacus for kids.
5. What About Technological Development
While calculators have taken the place of Abacus as a tool, they can certainly not replace Abacus as a learning program because of the different advantages it offers.
6. What Is A Russian Abacus?
The Abacus was more prominent in Russia than in other countries. The first Abacus in Russia was imported from France in the year 1820.
7. What Were The Influences of China On The Abacus?
China is amongst the famous countries that influenced Abacus the most. The use of the Abacus began as early as the year 1400 CE in China. Here, the Abacus was also called Jusan, Japan, and Supan.
8. What Is Unique About The Modern Abacus?
At present, we use Soroban for calculations. The reading on the Abacus becomes zero by pulling horizontally along the Horizontal bar. It has one bead in the upper deck and 4 beads in the lower deck.
9. What Is The Use of An Abacus For Kids?
Using an abacus or your kid's learning can help your kid's brain development. It also enhances mental arithmetic in kids and adults.
10. What Is Special About The Cranmer Abacus?
Cranmer Abacus was developed for blind people to learn calculations quickly and accurately.
Firstly, I hope that the above facts were interesting and helped you learn something new about Abacus that you were not already aware of.
Now the question is
Is Abacus Helpful For Your Kid?
Well, Abacus influences a child's overall mental development in several ways. This includes advantages like rapid learning abilities, exceptional memory skills, superior listening abilities, increased attention span, self-confidence, etc.
Are you the parent using Abacus for kids as a tool for brain development? Or the teacher that helps learn mathematics quickly by using an abacus for kids?
If Not, What Are You Waiting For?
Mastermind Abacus is a world-renowned Abacus program for children aged 5-13. The program is specially designed to eliminate the fear of math in children.
We have been promoting Abacus Math Program for over 23 years through its 2000-plus franchise centers spread across 16 countries.
The parent's challenge is choosing the right Abacus Company for their ward.
Moreover, Mastermind Abacus is the only company providing both Offline and Online Abacus Classes to its students.
We have developed an Online Abacus E-learning platform and a hybrid Abacus E-Teaching platform becoming the world's first company to offer a live and interactive portal especially designed to teach Abacus.
Our online Abacus Program trains students through indigenously developed Abacus Math-based game videos. The teacher monitors the entire system through an inbuilt video conferencing window.
Check it for yourself; Mastermind Abacus welcomes you to book an online demo class and then make a decision.